Reward-Based Training Options
Are You Looking for Training for Your Dog?
You have come to the right place! At Arie's Dogland we have options for just about every dog with any and every issue, from everything you need to know about your new puppy, to fixing those problem behaviors in your adult dog! We offer private sessions (with Arie), reactive dog packages, and more!
About Arie (the owner) and her training . . .
I grew up with animals, and have been training dogs since my first dog as a kid: a yellow Labrador Retriever. She inspired me to start working with dogs who need behavior training, and I’ve been teaching dog obedience and behavior-modification training ever since. After being certified with Penn Foster College as a Dog Obedience Instructor, I opened Arie’s Dog Training L.L.C. in 2006 and started teaching in-home behavior-modification sessions, as well as group classes taught at parks and other rented spaces. I have worked at two boarding kennels, Jack & Rascal’s on the westside as the head obedience trainer for two years, and have also worked for the Assistance Dogs of the West (www.AssistanceDogsoftheWest.org) in Sante fe and Albuquerque, which was one of my favorite jobs. I now train exclusively and work full-time at Arie’s Dogland, teaching classes, working during the week as a playgroup supervisor, and doing private sessions as well.
I am a full member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers, am an approved AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, and one of my past dogs (Sarge) was a registered visiting dog with the Warm Hearts Network. I have been featured twice on both KASA Fox 2 in the morning and “Style” for live behavior segments, I have had many training articles published in the “Ask a Pet Pro” section in Albuquerque the Magazine, and have had an online training column on the Luvin’ Labs Foundation website (www.LuvinLabs.com). I offer discounted private session training for foster dogs, and work with many rescue groups such as the Luvin Labs Foundation, Viva Rural Animal Rescue, EnchantMutts, the Doberman Rescue of NM, etc. I am a volunteer for the city shelter, helping exercise dogs at the Westside shelter whenever I can. I have been featured on Living Social, running the first dog training promo in the state, and had over 300 vouchers sold, with 100% positive customer feedback. I was voted “Best Dog Training” with Albuquerque the Magazine’s annual “Best of the City” many years, as well as with the Albuquerque Journal.
Arie & Sarge
I DO use and promote:
– Reward-based training methods
– Natural and common-sense behavior modification
– A well-rounded and holistic training approach,
including a healthy diet and stress-reduction methods
– Calming tools such as the Thundershirt (which we sell),
melatonin, essential oils, etc.
- Training styles such as those used by Victoria Stillwell, Pat Miller,
Sophia Yin, Zak George, etc.
I DON’T use or promote:
- Fear or punishment-based methods (which will make
- Cesar Millan (force-based) training methods
- Prong collars, choke chains, or "E-collars" - these are electric shock collars, and should never be used on a dog for any reason.
Note: Be wary of trainers using "balanced methods" - these are force- and fear-based as well.
I welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and confidence to deliver you the best service in the dog training industry!
The Puppy Class with Arie
All of our puppy classes are for puppies under the age of four months upon the class start date. For older puppies and adult dogs, a private session will be your go-to, as dogs in these age-ranges have different needs.
Next Upcoming Class:
September 9th at 8:30 am
Recommended by veterinarians all over town, this class is a blast! The reward-based curriculum of this class includes the "basics" of sit, down, watch/look, etc., as well as being fitted for appropriate "gear" to start to walk nicely on (either a no-pull harness, or a Gentle Leader). Puppies in this class will learn the important aspects of being a well-mannered citizen, such as self-control, impulse control, confidence, body awareness, how to politely interact with new dogs and people, learning to be handled, surface/obstacle interactions, and LOTS more. You as a puppy owner will learn about the incredibly huge importance of exposure and EARLY socialization, as well as the how-to's and how not-to's, and you will have a socialization checklist/scavenger hunt to follow as well. This is by far one of the most well-rounded puppy class you will find anywhere in the state, and we know you and your puppy both will love it! Read our reviews on Facebook, Google Maps, Angie's List, and more for what our clients have to say about this puppy class! If you're up for some (FUN) homework, this class will help build the bright, confident, well-adjusted dog you're looking for!
This class is six weeks for $175 + tax, with no class on holidays.
Max: Eight adorable puppies, who MUST be four months of age or younger at the start of class. See below for our "class intro" info and to enroll.
Note: This because we catch puppies in their "crucial socialization window," so while older puppies learn just as well, we want to educate YOU about what needs to happen in this extremely important time-frame of your puppy's life, which is somewhat equivalent to the time-frame of a seven-year-old child in a human's life, where things such as social skills and language are learned. We do not want to miss this window with puppies!
For a puppy class with either of our trainers, please reach out to us to schedule a FREE 10-minute "class intro" when your puppy has the following class requirements:
~ Proof of at least two sets of distemper/parvo shots (one from breeder is ok, with date and sticker),
~ Bordetella (for "kennel cough") - if your puppy doesn't have this yet, but will get it soon, that's fine,
~ Proof of a negative fecal exam (coccidia and giardia are very common parasites with puppies).
Email us, with your interest/info, your puppy's birthday, and shot records if you can. Our class intro is designed to ensure that your puppy is ready for a group setting; we cannot allow reactive or aggressive puppies in our classes, so we are simply determining that your puppy is ready to go. Intros are scheduled Tuesdays-Fridays, before 3:30pm (but let us know if you can't make this work and we'll see what we can do).
Private In-Home Training with Arie
Private sessions are one hour long, at your home, and are ideal for:
- Separation anxiety
- Destructive behavior
- Fearful behavior
- General Anxieties
- Jealous behavior
- Aggressive/reactive behavior towards humans
- Possessive behavior (“resource guarding”)
- Housetraining or marking issues
- Visitor/stranger greetings
- Self-control issues
Training cases NOT being taken are the following:
1. Situations in which siblings/housemate dogs are fighting, as outcomes of this behavior unfortunately usually cannot be "fixed" to a safe and reasonable point. Feel free to contact other trainers for a second opinion on these cases, but most trainers will have similar thoughts.
2. Situations where the dog is going after the household cat with harmful intentions, unless it is a puppy (who often just wants to play but doesn't know how).
3. Situations involving "work dogs" who are not being friendly to the staff or clients in that setting. While we can work on visitor/stranger greetings at home, unfortunately, a work environment is not an appropriate setting for a dog to be who does not already have polite/friendly social skills with people.
Each 75 minute training session includes:
- Consultation with you and your dog at your home
- Questions from the trainer about almost all aspects of your dog and his/her life
- Explanations about the exhibited problem behaviors
- Written and verbal advice about fixing the behaviors
- Demonstrations on how to work with the dog’s behavior problems as applicable
- Handouts if applicable
Pricing: $150.00 including tax, for 75 minutes for local sessions.
Add a $25.00 mileage fee for Placitas, East Mountains or Corrales. Los Lunas: Add $30.
Sessions scheduled vary in times, and are typically held on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, between around 8am and 3pm.
Cancellations: Please give at least 48 hours notice for any private session cancellations, as sessions book up quickly. Thank you!